Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA) and the Chittagong Port Authority (CPA) jointly built this inland terminal at a cost of Tk1.54bn. The terminal is expected to play a positive role in the country’s economic development by opening up a new horizon in the transportation of exported and imported goods through waterways. The project aims to help ease the pressure of cargo movement on the Dhaka-Chittagong railway and highway corridors. The terminal has a storage capacity of 3,500 20-foot equivalent units (TEUs) of containers and handle 116,000 TEU containers annually. The capacity will gradually be raised to 160,000TEU. Three vessels – Pangaon Express, Pangaon Success and Pangaon Vision – have already been procured from China at the cost of Tk500m to operate the terminal. Each vessel can carry 128 containers (20ft equivalent units or TEUs).
- Length of the Jetty- 180 m (Two ships length of 70-75m can take berth at a time)
Width of the Jetty-26 m
- Total Yard Area (Within the boundary wall)-55,000 Sq. m.
- Total area of van pool(Overflow yard)-9100 Sq.m.
- Container holding Capacity of yard -2400 TEUS
- Container Freight Station (CFS) area-5815 Sq.m.
- Reefer Plug-in point-48nos.
- Mobile harbor Crane – 1 nos.
- Straddle Carrier – 2nos.
- Forklift – 4nos.
- Tractor trailer – 2nos.
- Cargo Lifting Crane – 1 nos. of 10 ton capacity.
- Cargo Lifting Crane – 1 nos. of 20 ton capacity (under process for shifting to PICT from Chittagong Port).
24 hours uninterrupted electricity and water supplied for the container handling activities. For that-
- Two generators capacity of each 1250(KVA/1 MW) installed.
- Another one generator capacity of 2.5 MW is under construction.
- A pump house has been installed for water supply.
3 (Three) Vessel each of 120 TEUS capacity has been procured by Chittagong Port Authority which are:
- Pangaon Success
- Pangaon Express
- Pangaon Vision